Everyone has been there, but hydroplaning is one of those phenomena’s that no one likes to experience. It occurs when a vehicle’s tires hit a patch of water and are not able to spread the water fast enough, causing the vehicle to suddenly lose control and spin out. It’s scary and it’s dangerous for everyone involved. That’s why your favorite car dealerships in NJ, Pine Belt Chevrolet, Pine Belt Subaru and Pine Belt Chrysler-Jeep, wanted to share a few tips so you can be better prepared for the unexpected.
How To Avoid Hydroplaning
You should always be extra cautious when it’s raining, or if there is standing water on the road from a previous shower, but the first ten minutes of rainfall can pose the greatest risk for hydroplaning. Why, you might ask Pine Belt Chevrolet, Pine Belt Subaru and Pine Belt Chrysler-Jeep? The road becomes slippery when the water begins to mix with oil or grease on the pavement. The slippery mess is washed away as more rain begins to fall. Be sure to follow these tips to help avoid hydroplaning:
- Remember to regularly inspect your tires. Proper inflation and tread wear can make a huge difference in the rain. If you notice any issues, bring your vehicle into our Lakewood car dealers for maintenance.
- Leave plenty of space between the vehicle in front of you in case anything happens unexpectedly.
- Turn off cruise control if it’s on and try not to ride in the outer part of the lane, as that’s where water tends to accumulate.
- Instead of slamming on your brakes or making sudden stops, slowly press the brake pedal.
- Pine Belt Chevrolet, Pine Belt Subaru and Pine Belt Chrysler-Jeep wants to remind you to NEVER panic if you feel your vehicle hydroplane. Keep steering in the direction the vehicle is traveling, avoid accelerating and pressing the brakes. This will allow the vehicle to safely get out of the slippery situation.
Pine Belt Chevrolet, Pine Belt Subaru and Pine Belt Chrysler-Jeep: Your Go-To Service Center
If you notice anything wrong with your tires, come in to see our Service department here at Pine Belt Chevrolet, Pine Belt Subaru and Pine Belt Chrysler-Jeep. We’ll ensure they are rotated, inflated and replaced if needed. While you wait, feel free to browse our new and used vehicle inventory!
Pine Belt Chevrolet
88 Ocean Ave
Lakewood, NJ 08701