A sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach is not uncommon when your check engine light comes on while driving your car. The expert service technicians at Pine Belt Chevrolet, Pine Belt Subaru and Pine Belt Chrysler-Jeep in Lakewood, NJ, your premier of car dealerships in NJ, know just how you feel and have a list of the top five reasons your engine light could come on.
- The oxygen sensor could need replacing. The oxygen sensor tells how much unburned oxygen is in your exhaust system. Not fixing it could mean burning way too much fuel. It can also damage your spark plugs and catalytic converter.
- Catalytic converter is on the fritz. The catalytic converter is there to turn harmful carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. They usually go out due to poor maintenance on your vehicle. Not replacing it could cause your vehicle to run hot and reduce the performance of your vehicle.
- Spark plugs and wires could need replacing. Spark plugs light the mixture of air and fuel in the combustion chamber of the engine. The wires deliver the spark. These not working properly could result in reduced fuel efficiency and below normal performance. It can also clog your catalytic converter causing more expense if not fixed properly.
- The Mass Airflow Sensor could need replacing. The amount of air entering your engine determines how much fuel is needed to run your vehicle. This is measured by the mass airflow sensor. A malfunction in this sensor could also damage your spark plugs or catalytic converter.
- Something as simple as a loose gas cap can make your engine light go on. The gas cap creates pressure in the fuel tank. If it is loose, you could have fuel evaporating. The first thing you could try is to tighten the cap and the check engine light will turn off after a few miles of driving. If not, the check engine light is warning you about something more serious.
What To Do If Your Check Engine Light Comes On
Bring your vehicle into one of our expert automotive service centers at Pine Belt Chevrolet, Pine Belt Subaru or Pine Belt Chrysler-Jeep, leaders of Lakewood car dealers. Our factory trained techs will use a tool to run a diagnostic on your engine to determine if the vehicle needs immediate attention. In the long run, it will save you money to have the check engine light alarm evaluated. Find out how to make your appointment on our websites at www.pinebeltchevrolet.com, www.pinebeltsubaru or www.pinebeltchryslerjeep.com.
Pine Belt Subaru
Lakewood, NJ 08701